EDUC 450 course reflection and EDUC 451
EDUC 450 was a great introductory course on mathematical educational inquiry and I have developed many new ideas throughout the term. Discussion on embodied mathematical learning and examining mathematical education for sustainability were my highlight areas. I also really enjoyed the Reconciling Ways of Knowing online forum discussion listening to Dr. Robin Kimmerer and Dr. Nancy Turner making connections and metaphors between Indigenous ways and ecology. Then getting the chance to experience braiding sweetgrass was a fun experience. It has expanded my knowledge and thinking about working towards indigenizing my future math classrooms.
Sarte & Hughes (2010) reading on marks, grades, and their effects on learning had overlap with our math assessment course however I enjoyed discussing the various effects assessment can have through a student bird and teacher bird perspective. I also enjoyed reading Van Manen (2008)’s paper on pedagogical sensitivity and teachers’ knowing-in-action. The paper had many insightful quotes and “stops” that made me reflect and think about how I can be a more tactful teacher.
I really liked the pacing
of this course and did not feel pressure in any way in terms of deadlines for
completing blog entries and the inquiry project. There was plenty of time in
class to complete activities and the exit and entrance slip format was very
helpful at reflection and thinking. I am excited for EDUC 451 Inquiry II and
continue to work on my inquiry topic of environmental education and climate
change in a math classroom. It would be exciting to get the opportunity to spend
more time in the orchard garden and think about ways to connect my project with
an outdoor space. EDUC 451 could also be a great opportunity to further learn
about embodied mathematical learning and more ways to indigenize math learning.
Comments
Post a Comment