Gender and stereotyping in mathematics and when is it time to get math help?

Being an Asian male who studied mathematics in university, I most certainly fit into the stereotype of the nerdy Asian who is good at math. My post-secondary math grades were not entirely stellar as I averaged 66-68% among math courses between 2nd and 3rd year. By the end of 5th year, this average was around 72%. What got me to pursue math was purely out of interest in the subject and curiosity. I think as secondary teachers in math and physics, we should push all students to develop curiosity to learn more about these subjects and particularly encourage women and other underrepresented groups into these subject areas because this gives them equal opportunity to enter STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields. STEM jobs are essentially building the future as technology continues to advance and is an ever-growing industry. There is still an unequal gender divide in these subject areas in post-secondary and entry into these work field are very competitive. Women and underrepresented groups often face discrimination. It is important to challenge the power structures and gender inequality in STEM. In the classroom, I could present more examples of work done by women and other underrepresented groups so that my students can become inspired and hopefully follow their footsteps.

Vakharia is known as the Math Guru, who is an educator in Toronto, Canada helping students in math and physics through connections in pop culture. Vakharia says that students wait too long before getting help. The first step is to notice when help is needed immediately. My old math teacher used to say get help soon before small problems ‘snowball’ into larger problems. Parents need to be engaged in their child’s learning by asking how they did in class and follow up when they get their test/assignments back. My mom was particularly good at that and very invested in my education. She would often follow up and ask how I did on a test and give suggestions on how to spend my studying time. My mom was the one who pushed me to do well in all my academics, especially in mathematics. I remember in 3rd grade; she would sit with me while I studied to memorize my multiplication tables and excel in problem-solving. She was an accountant and was very good at mental math and quick thinking. My dad was a computer scientist but was not as invested in my learning as my mom. I wonder if I had become involved with computer science earlier, then things would have been different. 

 

Video:

Vakharia, V. 2017. What to do if your kid needs extra help in math. BT Breakfast Television. Retrieved October 22, 2020 from https://www.bttoronto.ca/videos/what-to-do-if-your-kid-needs-extra-help-in-math/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marks, grades, and their effects in schooling

Inquiry project part 1: Choosing a topic area

The next steps for the Inquiry Project