Reconciling Ways of Knowing Conference

The Reconciling Ways of Knowing webinar was very powerful and moving. I enjoyed hearing the dialogue between Dr. Robin Kimmerer and Dr. Nancy Turner making connections and metaphors between Indigenous ways and ecology. For example, braided sweetgrass symbolizes peace and spirituality and its sweet scent attracts good spirits. I think using metaphors to make connections in the classroom will be beneficial to student learning and making connections. These connections may help the student become better at other aspects of life, ultimately aiding their personal growth and spiritual development.


A story that Dr. Kimmerer shared which really connected with me was about two boys who were out gathering nuts in the forest. They were so excited outside playing around and found plenty of nuts. To carry them all back home, they took off their pants, tied closed the bottom pant legs, and filled the entire pants with nuts. I grew up near a neighbourhood park and ravine. I remember a younger version of myself being so excited to play outside in the evenings every day after dinner and would run around through the foresty floor. Although this ravine has gone through many aesthetic changes over the years, notably becoming more accessible with proper railings and steps as well as boarded walkways, the ‘spirit’ within this ravine is still alive and strong.

Renfrew Ravine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marks, grades, and their effects in schooling

Inquiry project part 1: Choosing a topic area

The next steps for the Inquiry Project